Friday, January 26, 2007

Spring Break 1980

Every time I go somewhere like this, I mean a place with a lot of people gathered, be it Mardi Gras, the Super Bowl, Indy 500, or Kentucky Derby, or in this case, a film festival, I seem to find myself with a group of people trying to find a place to go as a group and have a quiet moment among the crowds of drunken idiots. Maybe not so quiet, but I presume everyone would like to be able to talk at least, and hear what the other people are saying. It's nice to get out, of course, if you've been at "home" for hours and hours. Anyway, I'm not being critical of the idea, but what always seems to happen is having trouble finding a place where a group larger than four can sit comfortbably, and then when we do find a place, it's too loud to hear anyone talking. I then sit and stare and possibly mediate and space out-- all as kind of a survival technique. We did this tonight, once again, it's so famailiar, it's really pretty funny. But I decided, as I have lately in such situations, to just go home, do something else, and then get up in the morning and start something new. I'm much happier that way.

Main Street in Park City reminds me exactly of Daytona Beach, Spring Break 1980. I say 1980 because that was the last year I went somewhere on spring break, among all the idiots and screaming idiots. I'm one too, or I was back then I guess. I am still, just not screaming quite as loudly. Okay, I'm not screaming at all. Maybe I should scream once in awhile. Maybe that would make some kind of at least different impresson...

No comments: